Recipe: Spicy Candied Bacon
Summary: What makes this the perfect Easter bacon? It’s like spicy bacon candy. It’s great on its own as an appetizer, chopped into a salad, or even on your Baked Beans!
- 1 lb. thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a rack over the foil. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on the rack, leaving no space between the slices.
- Combine the brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Evenly sprinkle the mixture over the bacon, covering each slice completely.
- Bake, rotating the sheet halfway through, until the sugar is melted and the bacon is brown and shiny, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the rack for about 5 minutes, then loosen the slices from the rack with a metal spatula. Continue to cool for another 5 minutes before serving; the bacon will crisp as it cools.
For Asian influence: add 1 Tbs. lower-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Finecooking.com