Recipe: Spinach and Feta Quiche
Summary: Quiche is great for any meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a great recipe to turn to when you do not have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. You can assemble a quiche in a matter of minutes, and the tasty results will never give away how effortless it was.
- FOR THE PASTRY:
- 14 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 bunches spinach, roughly chopped
- butter, for sautéing
- 2 rounds feta
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup cream or fat free heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- TO MAKE THE PASTRY CASE: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry, then use it to line a loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, then brush the base and sides of the pastry case with the egg white and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- FOR THE FILLING: Steam the spinach for 5 minutes, then drain and finely chop. Lightly sauté the onion and garlic in the butter and mix with the cooked spinach. Crumble in the feta.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Fill the pastry shell with the spinach-and-feta mixture. Pour over the egg-and-cream topping and bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastry turns golden brown.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Huffingtonpost.com