Recipe: Spinach Stuffed Shells
Summary: Although these stuffed shells seem to scream indulgence, the nutrition facts prove otherwise. The key to slimming down the fat and calorie content of this dish is choosing lighter options in the cheese aisle.
- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese or low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 can (8 ounces) Italian spiced diced tomatoes, drained
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup prepared pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook the shells according to the package directions, and drain them well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of an 8″ x 11″ baking dish. Stuff each shell with about 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture, and arrange the shells in a single layer in the dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the shells.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the shells are heated through. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 22 g
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Prevention Magazine