The cake was superb in its appearance but that pales in comparison to the flavor. Moist; the antithesis of a grocery-store-dried-out-stale cake. Skip picking up a sheet cake and make your own I say; and make a mayo cake! It is decadent like a wedding cake. Made with love. Recipe dates back to World War II
Super-Moist Chocolate Mayo Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1-1/3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Frost, if desired, or sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Or, prepare cake mix as above in 13 x 9-inch baking pan and bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Enjoy with an ice cold glass of milk!
Recipe adapted from: examiner.com