For an easy Oscar party, a simple Teriyaki Chicken that is served in lettuce wraps. The recipe comes together quickly, but has wonderful savory, yet light, flavors that work perfectly with your cocktails.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cool water
- 1 head Boston lettuce, separated into leaves (or similar broad, tender lettuce)
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic powder, hot sauce and fish sauce. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the carrots and onion. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the chicken, then pulse several times to begin chopping the chicken. Add the sauce, then continue pulsing just until the chicken is well chopped, but not ground. The pieces should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often and breaking up any clumps, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. In a small glass, stir together the cornstarch and water, then add to the skillet. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to one side of a serving platter. Arrange the lettuce leaves on the other side. Diners help themselves by spooning the chicken into individual leaves, using the leaves as they would a sandwich wrap.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: GANNETT