Recipe: Tex-Mex Chicken Soup Recipe
Summary: This quick and easy soup is a real winner!
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth, tomatoes, corn and tomato sauce and without added salt, cheese and tortilla chips) equals 1 vegetable, 12 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 91 calories, 109 mg sodium, 21 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 3 gm fat.