Recipe: Thai Chile-Basil Beef
- 1 Lb Chuck Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Soy or Fish Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Shallot
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Inches Ginger
- 1 Bunch Thai or Regular Basil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Pepper
- 1 Can Bamboo Shoots
- 1/2 Can Coconut Milk
- Jasmine Rice
- Thin slice the beef against the grain. Marinade the beef in the soy or fish sauce, sugar, and salt for at least a half hour.
- In a food processor, make a paste with the ginger, garlic, shallot, and spices
- Dice peppers, onions, and bamboo to desired size.
- Get a thin layer of oil in a pan and heat it up. Fry HALF of the basil leaves in batches until the leaves are crisp, and set aside on a paper towel.
- Put beef and marinade into the hot oil used to fry the basil, and cook until starting to brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and peppers and onions. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the bamboo and coconut milk. If it is looking a little light, add some chile powder to redden it.
- Cook 10 or so minutes. Add the other half of the basil. Remove from heat
- Serve with jasmine rice, and the crispy basil.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)