Recipe: Thai Style Fried Bananas
Summary: Try some of these delicious Thai Style Fried Bananas that not only taste just like banana fritters but are made using rice flour and sesame seeds. They make wonderful snacks and can be enjoyed almost anywhere in Thailand from portable road-side stalls to floating markets and beyond. You’ll find them being frequently fried during vegetarian week, that is between late September and early October.
- 5 Medium to large bananas
- 2 Cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 Cup rice flour
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon roasted sesame seeds (0ptional)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Peel the bananas and cut the very end off both sides then cut the banana in half and then again lengthwise.
- Sift the self-rising flour, the rice flour and salt into a bowl. Add enough water to make a smooth batter then mix in the roasted sesame seeds.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dip each banana piece into the batter until fully coated then fry a few pieces at a time until crisp and golden. Remove the banana pieces with a large slotted spoon or a wire basket and drain on some paper towels.
- Please note that you can enjoy the banana pieces either hot or at room temperature as is, or by dipping them into golden or maple syrup.
Try not to use bananas that are overly-ripe. It is preferable to use bananas that have just turned yellow in color throughout their skins.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: Luxury-Thailand-Travel.com