Recipe: The King Chocolate Cupcake
Summary: This dessert really takes the (cup)cake. This unusually delicious treat was created as a tribute to Elvis Presley and includes some of the legend’s favorite indulgences like peanut butter, bananas and bacon.
Candied Bacon Ingredients:
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dark chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs (for cake mix)
- oil (for cake mix)
- water (for cake mix)
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup peanut butter (smooth, not chunky)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons milk
Chocolate Drizzle Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup chocolate morsels
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
Candied Bacon Directions:
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Dredge the bacon slices in the brown sugar mixture, coating both sides. Shake excess. Place on foil-lined baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool 2-3 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on plate before crumbling or cutting into small pieces for garnish.
- Mix and bake cupcakes according to directions on package. Let cupcakes cool at least 4 hours.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch deep circle 1/2 inch away from the edge of the cupcake. Remove the piece and set aside for later. Do not discard. (Watch the video at the bottom of this post to see how this step is done.)
- Stir pudding mix and milk in a bowl for 2 minutes. Place in fridge to chill.
- Spoon chilled pudding into a gallon-size freezer bag. Snip 1-inch off one of the bottom corners to create a cake icing bag. Squeeze the pudding into each cupcake hole until just below the surface. Take the piece you removed and place it on top of the filled hole with the flat side down, so the peak faces upward. Do this for all cupcakes.
Peanut Butter Frosting Directions:
- In an electric mixer, combine butter, peanut butter and vegetable shortening. Add vanilla and mix until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, mixing well after adding. When the frosting gets thick, add in the milk and blend on high until light and fluffy.
- Place frosting into a cake icing bag fitted with a large star-shaped tip (I used Wilton 1M) or you can use a freezer bag like in the filling step above. Squeeze frosting in a circular motion starting at the cupcake base and building up, making sure to cover the peak of the cupcake piece sitting on top.
- Garnish with the candied bacon pieces.
Chocolate Drizzle Directions:
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments until completely melted, stirring occasionally. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate on top of the frosted cupcake by moving your hand in a quick back and forth motion.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TheDisneyDiner.com