Summary: These traditional potato pancakes are a simple Irish dish that is so delishiously creamy on the inside and crispy goodness on the outside, always make extra mash potatoes just to have these the next day with any protein.
- 1 cup raw, grated potatoes or
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (about) milk to mix (not if using mashed potatoes)
- Butter or oil for frying
- green onions or fresh parsley (optional)
- Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes and eggs. Add enough mix to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Butter each boxty and serve hot with or without sugar.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Feather Magazine