Recipe: Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
- ¼ cup water
- 3 ½ tsp powdered gelatine
- 3 ¼ cups single cream
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 piece lemon rind
- 100g (or about 72) raspberries
- 2 tbsp extra icing sugar
- Place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the powdered gelatine in. Give it a stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Using a small, sharp knife, split the vanilla bean down the middle (but not all the way through so it should still be connected at one end), and scrape out the seeds. Place both the seeds and the rest of the bean into a saucepan with the cream, sugar, and lemon rind.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring gently. Add in the gelatine mixture and heat through, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes. The gelatine should be completely dissolved by this stage.
- Strain the liquid into a small jug, and discard the lemon rind and vanilla bean. Pour into 18 shot glasses and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, toss the raspberries in the extra icing sugar and leave it in the fridge. This will help the juices come out so they become glossy, shiny, and extra yummy.
- To serve, top each shot glass with about 4 raspberries.
Makes 18 shot glasses