Recipe: Wine Braised Chuck Roast
Summary: Good braised in a classic mixture red wine & herbs.
- 3 – 4 lbs chuck roast
- salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 – 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 t dried marjoram
- 8 oz red wine
- 1 – 2 T unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Lay out 2-3 layers of tin foil big enough to wrap the beef in.
- Salt & pepper the beef & lay in the middle of the foil folding up the sides to create a bowl. Sprinkle in the garlic, onion, thyme and marjoram. Pour in enough wine to cover the beef about halfway.
- Seal up the foil & place the packet in a baking dish. (Don’t worry if it leaks a little, ours did & it still turned out just fine.)
- Carefully remove meat from the foil packet. Move to a cutting board or serving platter & tent to keep warm. Strain the cooking juices into a skillet. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in the butter & let simmer for about 5 minutes. Test for seasoning. Serve with the beef.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of A Good Appetite