Summary: Try the warmth and heartiness of a hot soup. It’s an easy and quick soup to prepare, and wonderful to enjoy with a loaf of crusty Italian bread.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
3 carrots chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Coarse sea salt and ground pepper
1 bunch collard greens, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon fresh basil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound dry white beans, soaked overnight
1 can diced tomatoes, in juice
½ # ditalini pasta
Grated Locatelli Romano, to finish
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.
2. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
3. Add collard greens, basil, and crushed red-pepper. Cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
4. Add all the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, until collards are tender, 15-20 minutes.
5. Add ditalini pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes more.
6. Season with salt and pepper; serve with grated Locatelli Romano, if desired.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: TheUrbanSpork.com